Ellesmera
Home of the Elves

Monday, September 15, 2008

Twilight

Yuck. For those lucky unacquainted people, here is the story,
Who is this guy? Ooh, he's cute. Why is he acting like this? Ooh, he's cute. Do I like him? Ooh, he's cute. Does he like me? Ooh, he's cute. Why does he like me? Why does he like me? Why does he like me? I'm so not cute, he's sooooooo cuuuuuuttttteeeeeee.
Bella Swann is the irritating protagonist, who trips about 5 times a page, which is supposed to let everyone relate to her. And she's obviously beautiful and shy and low on self confidence. Adorableness personified. And she has no life except Edward, before or after she meets him.

The author impresses me, though. Fantastically thought out. Now idiots who only ever read chicklit can think "Oh, we've read fantasy fiction, so that's fantasy fiction, no wonder people like fantasy fiction, now we will never read anything again because we have read such sophisticated, cool fantasy fiction". NO, a semblance of a plot in the last 50 pages is not fantasy fiction, sorry to dash your hopes.

Of the many plot loopholes, I cannot understand how some guy you've met two weeks before becomes so all-important that you are willing to give up everyone and everything you know for him. Even if he does look totally awesome, and have golden eyes and golden hair, and perfect white teeth and a gorgeous voice, and marble lips (Believe me, I know). And talking of his lips, call me an alien but kissing marble sounds utterly repulsive to me.

Also, Edward Cullen is an obsessed, over possessive, melodramatic, self important creepy stalker of a boyfriend. Ugh. Oh, and it has been medically proven that Bella's heartbeat stops when she kisses him. I'm still in awe of that.

For a funnier take on it, read this or that. Together, they almost made up for my having read this miserable excuse of a miserable excuse of fantasy fiction.

Seriously not worth the paper it's written on.

8 Comments:

  • OmG!
    OMG!
    The number of people who have come up to me and said (and I quote), "You ABSOLUTELY MUST read this! Omg! It is AWESOME!" are more than I can list here.

    I haven't given in yet.
    And it's a refreshing change to read a review such as yours. I didn't take too kindly to the book for the sole reason that too many people were gushing about ... a vampire LOVESTORY. Oh no, I have "done" a few love stories. But I don't wish to "do" more than I can help.
    Uh, and I dunno if you know, but the 2 links from Livejournal just return 404 errors with funny stuff on it.

    By Blogger Espèra, at 3:18 AM  

  • I think the links are fixed now. Sorry.
    I don't really like any (solely) love stories, except Pride and Prejudice, which doesn't count. So maybe I'm not the best person to say, but I thought it was awful.
    Misogynistic, too. I don't know if I said enough.

    By Blogger Namya, at 5:47 AM  

  • not that i was planning to read it. but as sampoorna said, i won't really want to read a vampire love story anyway.

    speaking of love stories-- it's a surprise to me that u liked pride and prejudice-- i thought u hated love stories.
    and speaking of that, i quite liked erich sehgal's.

    By Blogger Sakshi, at 6:14 AM  

  • ROFL.
    I love this!!
    OMG. This review is such a relief

    By Blogger The Keeper of the Keys, at 12:19 AM  

  • I read the this or that, and the parody was so so so very funny, I loved it. If that's what the real book's like, I don't think I'll read it anytime soon.

    Sigh, and people like this?

    By Blogger lonewolf4eva007, at 2:30 AM  

  • @ TKOTK: Thank you.

    @ Sobhagya: I loved the parody too and yes, that's what the actual book is like. And people do obviously actually like it.
    I suppose it would be the perfect choice for Bad Book Week, or for laughing at crazily.

    By Blogger Namya, at 4:48 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Shefali, at 12:00 AM  

  • i feel totally demotivated to read the series now!! and it was good to read your reviews! they actually make sense (unlike chetan bhagat)!!

    By Blogger Shefali, at 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home