Ellesmera
Home of the Elves

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The GameWorld Trilogy

To anyone who still reads my blog, my sincere apologies. This post has been hanging around for about 2 months, and should have been posted at least a month ago. I have nothing to excuse myself, really, but pure laziness. And a trivial thing known as board exams.

Anyway, very good series. Nicely written, impressive style, and it renewed my faith in Indian writers (Chetan Bhagat and Vikas Swarup had collectively eroded it for a while). 
Laugh out loud funny, with references to almost everything you're ever heard of - Lord of the Rings, faint echoes of Harry Potter, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, the Ramayan, King Arthur (the knights of 'Ventelot'), Robin Hood, the Illiad...Sort of like a mash up of my favourite literature and mythology, the USA of fantasy fiction.

In the end, though, it works as more than a spoof. It makes good fantasy sense, it proposes no moral absolutes (everyone is an interesting shade of grey) and it has characters I was rooting for, especially, Maya, who is the kind of interesting, smart, spunky female character I approve of. Definitely worth a quick read.

P.S. Thanks to Anurag for recommending it to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home